Growth in Middle-Income Countries

The Middle-Income Trap

Harvest

Middle-income countries—home today to 6 billion people—are in a race against time. Many have set ambitious deadlines for themselves: reach high-income status within the next two or three decades. That will not be easy. Since the 1990s, only 34 middle-income economies have succeeded in that feat. The rest—108 at the end of 2023—have been stuck in “the middle-income trap”. Since 1970, the median income per capita of middle-income countries has never risen above 10 percent of the US level.

Climbing to high-income status in today’s environment will be harder still—because of high debt and aging populations in developing countries and growing protectionism in advanced economies. World Development Report 2024: The Middle-Income Trap outlines how all developing economies can avoid the middle-income trap.

Depending on their stage of development, countries need to adopt a sequenced and progressively more sophisticated mix of policies, shifting from a 1i (investment) approach to a 2i (investment + infusion) to a 3i (investment + infusion + innovation) approach. Moreover, the handful of countries that have made speedy transitions from middle- to high-income status have done so by disciplining vested interests, building their talent pool, and modernizing policies and institutions. Today’s middle-income countries can do the same. 

Download Report Overview

Key Policy Messages

This section summarizes the high-level policy messages from The Middle-Income Trap. Click on each card to read more.

Low-income countries can focus solely on policies designed to increase investment—the 1i approach.

Engineers talking

Low-income countries can focus solely on policies designed to increase investment—the 1i approach.

Countries growing out of low-income status into middle-income status tend to have a 1i strategy for accelerating investment. They should:

• Improve the investment climate to increase domestic and foreign investment.
  • Invest in human capital by broadening foundational skills and improving learning outcomes.
  • Increase investment in expanding access and grid networks.
  • Reform regulatory frameworks to attract private investment and ensure fair competition.

Lower-middle-income countries must expand the policy mix to a 2i approach—investment + infusion.

Industry

Lower-middle-income countries must expand the policy mix to a 2i approach—investment + infusion.

Lower-middle income countries should: 

• Discipline market leaders through integration into globally contestable markets; diffuse global technologies; and reward value-adding firms.
  • Discipline elites by providing equal opportunities for women and disadvantaged groups; allocate talent to task; develop links within academia; and allow emigration of educated workers whose skills are not valued in domestic markets.
  • Discipline SOEs by hardening budget constraints; advocate for advanced economies to ease protection of domestic incumbents; boost energy efficiency; and reflect environmental costs in energy prices.

Upper-middle-income countries need to shift gears yet again, to a 3i strategy: investment + infusion + innovation.

Technology Lab

Upper-middle-income countries need to shift gears yet again, to a 3i strategy: investment + infusion + innovation.

Upper-middle-income countries should: 

• Deepen capital markets and expand equity financing; strengthen antitrust regulation and competition agencies; and protect intellectual property rights.
  • Strengthen industry-academia links domestically; expand programs to connect with diaspora in advanced economies; and enhance economic and political freedoms.
  • Lower the cost of capital for low-carbon energy by reducing risks involving technology, markets, and policy; and increase multilateral finance for very long-term investments.

Countries that have made speedy transitions from middle- to high-income status have disciplined domestic vested interests.

Construction team working

Countries that have made speedy transitions from middle- to high-income status have disciplined domestic vested interests.

Powerful incumbents—large corporations, state-owned enterprises, and powerful citizens—can add immense value, but they can just as easily reduce it. Governments must devise mechanisms to discipline incumbents through competition regimes that encourage new entrants without either coddling small- and medium-size enterprises or vilifying big corporations.

Countries should reward merit to build their talent pool.

Women working in a computer

Countries should reward merit to build their talent pool.

Middle-income countries have smaller reservoirs of skilled talent than advanced economies and are also less efficient at utilizing them. So they will have to become better at accumulating and allocating talent

Countries should capitalize on crises as opportunities to modernize policies and institutions.

Eolic energy

Countries should capitalize on crises as opportunities to modernize policies and institutions.

Cheap, reliable energy has long been a cornerstone of rapid economic development. But prospering while keeping the planet livable will now require paying greater attention to energy efficiency and emissions intensity. Climate change and other exigencies can provide opportunities to forge the consensus needed for tough policy reforms.

Multimedia

“The Middle Income Trap” and Race Against Time for Over 100 Countries

This episode of “Expert Answers” features a brief interview with Somik Lall, Director of World Development Report 2024 and Senior Advisor to the Chief Economist of the World Bank. He provides an overview of the main messages of the report and shares insights from countries that have successfully managed the transition from middle- to high-income status.

Global Development and the Middle-Income Trap

This May 2024 event explored critical questions on how middle-income countries can accelerate the process of creative destruction, despite stiffening headwinds caused by economic fragmentation, demographic considerations, and climate change. Part of the Knowledge for Change Program, it was organized in partnership with the Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics (SITE), the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and the Expert group for Aid Studies (EBA).

How Can Countries Escape the Middle-Income Trap?

Part of the EAPCE Research Center's Keynote Lecture Series, this talk by World Bank Chief Economist Indermit Gill was given in Malaysia in June 2024. It spoke to the significant transformations needed in economies, societal expectations, and energy usage to escape the “middle-income trap” and achieve sustainable growth, a process that involves complex changes in production, distribution, and resource management. A panel discussion of policymakers and experts followed to contextualize the report’s findings to Malaysia and the wider East Asia & Pacific region.

ResourcesResources

Courses

Capital Markets Development: Advanced Topics

This course explores advanced concepts in the development of capital markets, providing participants with a comprehensive review of three core topics: financial instruments issued in capital markets; the role of institutional investors as financial intermediaries; and the response of firms and governments as issuers of equity and debt. The course combines theory with state-of-the-art data analytics tools to offer insights into these subjects.

Read more